Driving and Transportation



Get a California Driver License

If you plan to drive as a new resident to the state of California, you are required to apply for a CA Driver License within 10 days of arrival at the Department of Motor Vehicles. Even if you will not be driving, a valid CA identification card is a useful form of ID, especially if you are coming from another country.


Car Rentals

Since it's so easy to get around town, lots of people only rent cars when necessary!

UC Berkeley has special agreements (think discounts!) with following providers:




There are several rental car companies nearby, including:



Parking Permits

A parking permit may be purchased as a postdoc or visiting scholar. For more information, see the links below.

P&T Parking and Transportation (Pay Online)



Cycling is a great way to get around in Berkeley. There are lots of keen cyclists in Berkeley and lots of hills for the brave and superfit. Be sure to get a decent lock as bike theft is very common. People under 18 are required by law to wear a helmet while cycling.


Public Transportation

It’s easy to commute around Berkeley and neighboring areas by bus, bike, shuttle, and BART. Check out the links below for more information.
 Bay Area Rapid Transportation (BART)
 AC Transit
 San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency
 Trip Planner
 Campus Shuttles
 Shuttle Routes & Schedules