You are here



Get a California Driver License

If you plan to drive as a new resident to the state of California, you are required to apply for a CA Driver License within 10 days of arrival at the Department of Motor Vehicles. Even if you will not be driving, a valid CA identification card is a useful form of ID, especially if you are coming from another country.

Parking Permits

A parking permit may be purchased as a postdoc or visiting scholar. For more information, see the links below.

P&T Parking and Transportation (Pay Online)


Cycling is a great way to get around in Berkeley. There are lots of keen cyclists in Berkeley and lots of hills for the brave and superfit. Be sure to get a decent lock as bike theft is very common. People under 18 are required by law to wear a helmet while cycling, and you must register your bicycle with UCPD to bike on campus.

Instead of bringing your own bicycle, you can also participate in the Ford GoBike bike-share for an annual or per-ride fee.  There are stations throughout Berkeley, including on the edges of campus.

Public Transportation

It’s easy to commute around Berkeley and neighboring areas by bus, bike, shuttle, and BART. Check out the links below for more information.
 Bay Area Rapid Transportation (BART)
 AC Transit
 San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency
 Trip Planner
 Campus Shuttles
 Shuttle Routes & Schedules



UC Berkeley logo

Berkeley Postdoctoral Association | Login
Privacy | Accessibility | Nondiscrimination
VSPA logo

© Copyright UC Regents. All Rights Reserved.