More than half of the postdocs at UC Berkeley are from another country and thus require a visa to come to the US. Most likely, your host department will arrange for the proper visa in your situation, but there are always questions arising as to the details of the specific visas for entry to the US and travel afterwards.

You can find the latest information on Visa policies and instructions at the Berkeley International Office.

The International Office also provides workshops on visa renewal, changing of visa status and other visa-related issues, and you should get information on those by email from the VSPA (Visiting Scholar and Postdoc Affairs).

Some of you might also be eligible to participate in the yearly Green-Card Lottery.


For any other visa-related questions, contact the International Office