Get a California Driver License

If you plan to drive as a new resident to the state of California, you are required to apply for a CA Driver License within 10 days of arrival at the Department of Motor Vehicles. Even if you will not be driving, a valid CA identification card is a useful form of ID, especially if you are coming from another country.

Parking Permits

A parking permit may be purchased as a postdoc or visiting scholar. For more information, see the links below.

P&T Parking and Transportation (Pay Online)


Cycling is a great way to get around in Berkeley. There are lots of keen cyclists in Berkeley and lots of hills for the brave and superfit. Be sure to get a decent lock as bike theft is very common. People under 18 are required by law to wear a helmet while cycling, and you must register your bicycle with UCPD to bike on campus.

Missing link is the best bike shop in town providing both new & used bikes as well as repair service. Your own bike is a great investment for your life!

Instead of bringing your own bicycle, you can also participate in the Ford GoBike bike-share for an annual or per-ride fee. There are stations throughout Berkeley, including on the edges of campus. However, they tend to be empty sometimes.

Public Transportation

It’s easy to commute around Berkeley and neighboring areas by bus, bike, shuttle, and BART. Check out the links below for more information.
Bay Area Rapid Transportation (BART)

AC Transit

San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency

Trip Planner

Campus Shuttles

Shuttle Routes & Schedules